One of my favorite word pairings is “easy” and “healthy.” When I get home from work the last thing I want to do is make an elaborate meal; I’m all about getting something fast and edible on the table. These sweet potato fries are very simple to prepare and make, and always taste delicious.
Personally, I’m a fan of grilling because I like the slight char. You could bake them in the oven, but you’d need to cook them at a higher heat if you wanted the crispiness. If you don’t have a grill, I would recommend pan-frying with a little extra olive oil.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and ends cut off
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Liberal sprinklings of your favorite spices. I used paprika, cumin, garlic, black pepper and chili powder.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Slice your sweet potatoes into 1/2″ fries (I leave the skins on mine, but you could peel them if that’s your preference)
- Place your fries in a large bowl and add the olive oil. Toss to coat. Add your salt and spices and toss again, ensuring all fries are coated with your spice mixture.
- Place fries on the grill in a single layer. I highly recommend buying a grill mat or pan so the fries don’t fall between the grates. Otherwise just try to line them up horizontally. Close the grill and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until they start to brown on one side. Flip your fries and cook for another 5 minutes. Your fries should be crispy on both sides by this point. If you like less of a char, lower your heat.
- Remove from the heat and serve with your favorite condiment.
Serves 2-3 people (2 if you’re in my house…I don’t share well).