Mint and chocolate naturally go together during the holidays. These cookies are so festive and scream Christmas the moment you take a bite. You have double the chocolate with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, plus mint coming through within the cookies, and with the crushed candy canes on top. My guy, who may be the only person with a bigger sweet tooth than me, decided these were his favorite of all the cookies I’ve made this season. That’s saying a lot. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 candy cane, finely crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and extracts and mix to combine.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix until a thick batter forms. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1-2 tsp. of batter and place on your baking sheets, at least 1″ apart. Sprinkle each cookie with some of the crushed candy cane (you may have to press it in a bit).
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on pans before transferring to a sealed container.
Yields about 34 cookies.